Harbour porpoise publication & Science into Practice #133 Biofloors great ape exhibits
Jan 31, 2023
A new paper on which AnimalConcepts founder Sabrina Brando has collaborated is available for open access. The highlights of the peer-reviewed article are:
- We used von Bertalanffy growth curve to enable age prediction of harbour porpoises.
- Harbour porpoises grow 66% during the first year.
- Asymptotic length was reached after 4 years.
- Large seasonal variations in body mass, girth and blubber thickness were evident.
- It is possible to predict individual body mass ± 2 kg using length and girth.
- Enables investigations of nutritional state by measurements of the Body Mass Index.
You can download the paper and supplemental information HERE
Another Science into Practice is available on the animal wellbeing platform, as well as new human and planetary wellbeing content. Want to learn more? Sign up HERE